Good sleep is the bedrock to a healthy existence. We all think more clearly, are more energetic and just a lot nicer to our fellow humans when we have had a good night’s sleep. However, the majority of us suffer from some form of sleep issue – we could find it hard to get to sleep, we might wake up throughout the night, or we might just have poor quality sleep more generally. Either way, if you have one or all of these issues, you are not alone. Many of us are in the same boat. But, what can we all do to help sleep better? The answer, natural sleeping tablets!
Natural sleeping tablets are exactly what they say on the tin (or bottle!) – they are made from natural active ingredients, not synthetic chemicals traditionally found in a pharmaceutical grade sleeping pill. In natural sleeping tablets, it will all depend on the brand as to the blends they decide to go with, but they will have picked a range or in some cases may hone in on just one key ingredient that is traditionally used to help with sleep. Below is a list of some of the main ingredients you will find in natural sleep remedies in the UK:
- Melatonin promoting alternative: sadly, in the UK, we aren’t able to buy melatonin sleeping tablets without a prescription. However, there are a number of other ingredients that are good alternatives that promote the production of melatonin within the body – most of these ingredients are rich in 5HTP such as Griffonia Seeds and L-Tryptophan
- Lavender: as we know from our soothing bath oils, lavender extract is known for its calming properties
- Magnesium: is one of the most important minerals in our body, helping with a wide range of the key functions it performs. However, specifically with respect to sleep, magnesium helps regulate our sleep cycle and relieve restless sleep patterns
- Chamomile: this is no surprise, given that chamomile tea before bed is one of the main suggestions as to natural sleep remedies in the UK. Chamomile is commonly regarded as a mild tranquilizer or sleep inducer. This is because the plant extract contains apigenin, a chemical compound that induces sleepiness when it binds to the GABA receptors in the brain
- L-Theanine: this amino acid that is found in green tea and not produced naturally by our bodies. It appears to help with all the different stages of sleep – to help us relax before bedtime, get to sleep more easily, and then sleep more deeply. This is due to the specific effects it has on our brain
Just one of these ingredients might work for you, be it in a vitamin format or in a tea or oil remedy. However, it goes without saying, but a blend containing a selection of these ingredients are some of the best natural sleeping tablets you will find. For example, I came across the Paso Sleep Capsules that contain all of the ingredients listed above along with some others.
Like other natural sleeping tablets, they don’t knock you out, but serve more as a nightly supplement to make your body perform its usual nightly routine better. I started to notice a difference a few weeks after taking it.
Let me know if you have any other suggestions for natural sleeping tablets you’ve tried and have worked. It’ll be hard to pull me away from my Paso capsules, but I’m always open to suggestions.